A wide range of intumescent epoxy coatings is available. These can be described as a mix of thermally reactive chemicals in a specific epoxy matrix formulated for fireproofing applications. Under fire conditions, they react to emit gases, which cool the surface while a low-density carbonaceous char is formed. This char then serves as a thermal barrier.
Advantages of intumescent epoxy coatings are:
- Properly applied, these coatings have excellent bonding and corrosion protection.
- They are typically lightweight and durable under non-fire conditions.
- Product is available that is flexible and tolerates vibration.
- Certain materials have demonstrated exceptional durability in severe jet-fire tests.
- Because they are based on an organic system, special characteristics can be designed into the coating.
- Coatings are available that provide an attractive finish appearance.